Mohalla Assi Movie Review
Mohalla Assi: It could have been the biggest movie of Sakshi Tanwar had it been released in January 2012
Mohalla Assiis finally ready for release with “A” certificate and one cut by the censor board. It is a satirical comedy-drama based on the popular Hindi novel “Kashi Ka Assi” by the noted writer and scholar Dr. Kashi Nath Singh.
Dharmnath Pandey (Sunny Deol) is a Sanskrit teacher who also works as a Brahmin in Assi Ghat. His day starts with attending to the domestic and foreign tourists at the ghat and later in the day he goes to a school to teach Sanskrit. Dharmnath Pandey is an orthodox Brahmin who wants to uphold the traditions, values and principles of Hinduism in these changing times. Started in 2011, the movie passed through tough times including a long legal battle before receiving the green signal for screening.
Highlights of the movie
- Based on the Ram Janma bhoomi movement and implementation of Mandal Commission
- Strong star cast – Sunny Deol, Sakshi Tanwar, Saurabh Shukla, Ravi Kishen and Mukesh Tiwari
- Focusses on the darker side of foreign tourism in Banaras
- Showcases commercialization of Brahmanism
- Mohalla Assi has the local dialect that sometimes looks abusive
Mohalla Assi First Look & Poster
The poster features all the characters including Sunny Deol, who’s in the attire of a Brahmin teacher. He’s provided the largest space on the poster. Also, the Assi Ghat is visible on the poster. Name of the movie with other details is printed at the bottom.
Why watch the movie?
Mohalla Assi shows the Assi Ghat as a battle ground of generations of Brahmans looking forward to earning quick money by luring foreign tourists. Presence of strong characters and stars make it more interesting.
- The movie was first scheduled to be released in January 2012
- Sakshi Tanwar replaced Ameesha Patel in the movie
- Sakshi Tanwar plays a local housewife and uses abusive language
- The movie was leaked online in August 2015